If you’re an avid Air Miles collector you’re likely already aware of this promotion. If you’re not, there is still time to get it done. The promo ends April 25. If you use 5 offers from different Air Miles partners you get 1000 bonus miles. Using 3 offers gets you 300 miles. The coupons can be found in booklets available at stores or online. (Be sure to check the online version because there are a few that are not included in the booklet) This is a really great opportunity to add to your Air Miles balance. The next best promo is “Shop The Block” in November/December. Here are a few thoughts on why and how to jump on this promotion.
If you collect Cash miles, 1000 miles will give you $100 off your purchase at an eligible Air Miles partner. It’s straightforward and sensible to use Cash miles for gas, groceries or drugstore items. For those who collect Dream miles, it takes a bit more effort to sort out your redemption options.
Below are a few examples of Dream miles redemptions in the ballpark of 1000 miles. My general rule for redeeming Dream miles is to aim for a redemption value roughly equivalent to that of Cash miles.
Flight – Halifax to Quebec City – 1105 miles + $151.99 (May 26-30) As of today, the flight would be $460
Hotel – Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando – 1045 miles + $25.83 (Mar. 14) Best available rate on the IHG website is currently $169.71
Event – PEI Fall Flavours Shellfish Festival 3 day pass for 2 people – 900 miles (Sept 20-22) Tickets on sale for $46 incl. tax per person
A few important things to remember:
- Although you can use more than one coupon at a single partner, only one will count toward your 5 required offers. You need to use coupons at 5 DIFFERENT partners.
- There are different sets of coupons for different provinces. Some coupons will be nationwide and others are only available in certain parts of Canada. If you know someone in another province willing to use a coupon for you, that’s fine.
- Keep your receipts. Occasionally there are glitches at some partners and you will have to follow up with Air Miles to receive the bonus.
- In light of the previous point, if it’s not too inconvenient, it’s a good idea to do an extra offer to hedge against the minor hassle of contacting Air Miles to get the missing bonus.
- Carefully read the terms and conditions of each offer.
Here in Nova Scotia the promo should be fairly easy to do if you happen to live near a Foodland, Pharmasave and Shell. Most people buy groceries, drugstore items and gas. For the last 2 offers, consider what spending you have planned and see if you can make it work with the remaining coupons. The goal is always to avoid unnecessary spending simply to acquire miles. There are also offers for signing up to do surveys or converting HBC Rewards points to Air Miles. Those cost you nothing. Although some offers have expired, there are still many options left.
To sum up, this is a great promotion. It is well worth the effort. Everyone in my immediate family is doing it. I even asked my horse if she wanted an Air Miles account (she’s 29 and was a competitive barrel-racing horse in her former life). She declined. She said she has enough miles.